The Church Windows

1962

The Mackie Window

This window incorporates a statement of its memorial purpose.

The three remembered were a devout and devoted Church supporter, an Elder and Sunday School Superintendent for twenty five years and an Assembly Elder and later for eight years Assembly Commissioner for the Royal Burgh of Crail.

His lay activities were numerous and varied and at his death the number of voluntary societies bereft of Secretary or Treasurer reached double figures. He was an antiquarian and Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, locally Dean of Guild and Senior Magistrate.

His wife, a devoted supporter of these any activities and a remarkable and kindly central figure in a stimulating household was, as a widow, a member of this congregation for fourteen years and made many friends in Sheffield.

Their son, an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist R.A.M.C.died untimely after several illnesses.

 

"To the GLORY OF GOD and in gratitude for the lives of

all his servants, especially

DAVID CABLE MACKIE, F.S.A. (Scot. ),

CHARLOTTE FYFFE McDONALD, his wife

and their son

SYDNEY RUTHWEN, Capt., R.A.M.C. 1962"

The window design recalls the tradition of the foundation of St. Andrews by St. Regulus. He, as Bishop of Patras, had custody of the body of St. Andrew but learned of a plan by Constantine V to seize this important holy relic and take it to Constantinople. In a dream - or revelation? - Regulus was told to take certain bones from the body and with an adequate company set sail for the West and establish a shrine where the ship would be wrecked.

This happened at a small headland called in Pictish - "Muckross" (the promontory of the boar) or in Gaelic -"Kylrimont" (the Church of the King's Hill) and here the shrine was established - probably in association with the Church already there.

The High King of Angus in the 8th century - about to commit his array to battle with a Saxon force - had a vision of St. Andrew and having gained a military victory gave generous grants of land and privileges to the new Church. The adoption of St. Andrew as the Patron Saint of Scotland derives from this. The fame of the shrine and its relics promoted the adoption of the local name St. Andrews, and in the 10th century St. Andrews was made the chief seat of the national bishop; a second Cathedral was consecrated in 1318 and the see became the Archbishopric in 1472 - all implied by the rays of heavenly light in the window. The view depicted shows the ruined cathedral and castle as seen from the pier, itself in part composed of masonry taken from the mouldering cathedral. On it the two red-gowned students are remainders of the University that dates from 1411. Of the large figures of St. Andrew and St. Regulus are of obvious relevance, the third - St. Triduana - was one of the voyagers from Patras who serving a shrine in (present day) Angus accepted the loss of her eyes to escape marriage and separation from her holy task. She was later canonized and became the patron saint of sufferers from eye diseases. Her shrine and the spring that supplied water to bathe affected eyes still exist at Restalrig. The two shields are (on the top left side) the shield of St. Andrews (note the boar) and (on the right) the shield with the burning bush, a symbol of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland. The shields at the bottom are personal.

The Fox Window

This stained glass window was presented to the Church by Mr. Cyril Fox and shows the Ascension of our Lord (St. Luke chap. 24 v. 50), supported by angels and surrounded by the disciples. Two pieces of tracery symbolise the Holy Trinity, and the centre piece represents the symbolic hand of God above all. The window was carried out in English antique glass of the very finest quality and bears the reading:

"To the GLORY of GOD and in affectionate

remembrance of my Beloved Wife

ISABELLA FOX

Died 2nd March 1963       Pure in heart. Loving. kind and gentle "

This window was designed and made by Mr. Donald Robertson, artist in glass. Glass made by Messrs. Hartley, Wood and Co., Sunderland, the only firm in the country who specialize in handmade and mouth blown glass.

The Church Windows

All the windows in St. Andrew's Church have been renewed twice since the building was consecrated. The large window above the Gallery was removed and replaced by a stained glass window in 1886 as a Memorial to St. Andrew's first Minister, the Revd. J. Breakey.

The remaining windows in clear diamonds, were replaced in 1932 due to their gradual deterioration by windows of a similar pattern and should have lasted 80 to 100 years. About this time, also, an interesting piece of medieval stained glass was given to the Church by the late Mr. John B. Corrie and restored by the late Mr. T.W.F.Robertson. This was framed and because of its delicate nature, was hung in the Minister's Vestry in front of the existing glass.

Then the night of the great devastation by fire, during an Air Raid, when St. Andrew's along with St. Mark's was gutted. The War Damage Commission was very generous in compensation for the loss of stained glass, and both the large Gallery and the Vestry windows were taken into account. One of the conditions was that all compensation for glass was to be used on glass, and the architects in their wisdom, decided that all the windows should be glazed in the best quality glass obtainable in simple forms. This was done in Norman slab in rectangular panes, surrounded by a white antique border.

Norman slab was handmade and mouth blown into the shape of square bottles, split down the sides into four pieces, each about 7" x 5”. The specification was predominantly streaky yellow, with an occasional streaky green and a plain yellow here and there to prevent monotony - no two pieces are exactly alike.

This glass is no longer made, but the Glazier did lay in some stock at the time in case of accidents in the future.

D. Robertson